Bible Journaling

I am sure so many of you out there have already discovered the bible journaling craze.  It has been going on now for a couple of years now, with dedicated bibles and supplies.  Through my journey, I have discovered that many people have been writing in their Bibles for years.  People mark their favorite passages and those things that have more meaning to them.  

So what is this newest bible journaling craze all about?   Bible journaling can be a new and exciting way to engage with Scripture. It can also transform the way you spend time in the Word and learning about it and its meaning.  It all begins within the margins of the Bible which there are now specific bibles made to do that with lined margin areas and predone artwork to color and enhance.  However that does not stop you from using a bible that does not have all of those extras added in.  With Bible journaling, you will find a creative and fresh approach to the age-old discipline of Bible reading and study. With pen in hand, you can visually capture Scripture, meditate on God's Word and memorize the text. Some people choose to journal as an expression of private devotion, others journal as an act of worship, and there are even some who consider it a creative outlet that can be shared. No matter what your purpose for Bible journaling, the beauty of the movement is this: it doesn’t require a skilled artist. All that matters is that you’re willing to experience God and His Word in a creative way.

I wish I could draw like my children can, however the crafter in me knows there are other creative ways and tools to accomplish the same thing an artist can do.   I purchased a creative Bible, for just that reason.  There was already a ton of predone art throughout my new Bible and lots of places to jot down notes and thoughts.  I have also rediscovered rub-ons which I had not used in some time on my scrapbook pages.  They work great because they are both colorful and flat.  I have also discovered that the micron pens work great with no page bleed through.  I prefer .03 or .01 the best.  I have also tried out using my stamps, although I did not like the results of the black ink I used because there was too much bleed through for my liking.  I recently purchased a gray ink pad and I will try that out and I hope to get better results with my stamping and coloring.  Let me share a little bit of my work with you!

This is just coloring something that was already predone in my Bible:



This is some coloring with some writing and stamping thrown in:



This is using rub-ons, stickers, and a tad of writing:


Although this has become another creative outlet for me, this has also been a learning experience as well.  I have never been an overly religious person and I am not becoming one now.  It is more a curiosity to me, to learn things I probably should have learned long ago in Sunday School.  I was baptized after all, however I think that was done more because it was the "right thing to do" and not done because it is what you do when you practice a religion. I am enjoying this very much and I am sure not trying to be perfect and I am also sure my lack of knowledge of God and the Bible show.  However all of that is fine with me and I hope if I don't get through my bible that my children and/or their children will and enjoy what I started.

Comments

Bonnie said…
I am going to explore this further. Thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts